Wednesday, May 14, 2008

MOE Scholarship Issue

So today I find out that my MOE scholarship stipend was revoked this month due to absences/tardiness. This being the case despite the fact that I had pneumonia (specifically chlamydia pneumoniae) and was told to rest at home for 3-5 days. I even got an official, stamped letter from the ear, nasal, throat physician to prove it. It wasn't until I flashed that letter that the secretary in charge of MOE scholarship let me talk to the chancellor's secretary, who was much more understanding since she actually was willing to listen to my reasons, which were legitimate and varied. After hearing me out she told the other secretary to contact the Ministry of Education and fax them the doctor's note.

While the first secretary really set me off, I think ultimately my teacher is the source of all the trouble. Having a serious, infectious disease should have precluded marking me absent, which is what my other teachers had did. Even if she did mark me absent she told me she put me down for 10 hrs absent, which is within the allowed allotted amount but it turned out to be 14 hrs, which is why I'm in this precarious position now.

In any case, until this is resolved I can't pay my landlord, my cell phone bill, my health insurance, kickboxing fee, nor my tuition, which means the classes I wanted to take may fill up before I can register. I asked more than once if I could sign up before paying because of my situation but they said it was impossible. In the meantime, the only reason why I'm not starving is because I had 1,000 NTD left over from last month's stipend and because my grandmother gave me some money for my birthday.

It's nearly mid-May and I find out by accident that I don't have my scholarship...I don't know why they don't have a system that notifies you when you are at risk of losing your scholarship or why they don't just tell you in an e-mail, letter, whatever that you aren't receiving one this month. I thought it was just arriving late AS USUAL.

Anyways, I'm hoping this will be resolved soon. In any case, I will not take this lying down. While the office secretary is dealing with it. I'm planning on sending out several e-mails to respective persons and if all else fails I will go to the MOE myself in person (once I find out where it is).

2 comments:

"Ludigel" said...

Hope this has worked out for you!

***someone who struggles to learn Mandarin because he lives in Taiwan (so it's kind of the other way round than in your case).

Greetings,

"Ludigel"

Unknown said...

Thanks, Bob. I actually wrote that months ago and the matter was completely resolved. I can't say it was resolved swiftly and without trouble but it turned out alright in the end.