Thursday, August 14, 2008

California Fitness; 'The Office;' MMOROP

So last night my friend brought me to his gym, California Fitness (the Daan branch), which is also known as 24 Hour Fitness in the states. Long story short (bc it's past 3 am and I should be asleep) I nearly got swindled...in fact I did--in large part bc my friend convinced me--but in the end I got a refund on my credit card. I think I will update more on this later...it has to do with being enrolled in an autopay system without my consent, completely arbitrary slashing of prices and random 'special deals,' and irregular mind games played by the salespeople or 'consultants.'

I also will be starting on my first editing project for Island Technology soon. They are developing an 'MMORPG,' which apparently stands for mass multi-person online role playing game. He said that I should do it at home and then tell him how many hours I spent on it and then come up with a hourly rate...I'm not quite sure how much I should request though. I talked to my grandmother over dinner at a hot pot restaurant and she said I should ask what he thinks is reasonable before I start working. That probably seems like a better way of haggling since I'll have more leverage if I just refuse to work if the pay isn't up to par.

Anyways, on a different note I'm going to start swimming in the mornings (8:30 AM...yikes) before class because once I start working my evenings will no longer be free. Plus, I need to get out of this apathetic slump I've been in ever since I sprained my ankle (which still clicks when I rotate it and is sore if I try a slow jog). I just got done with this insane marathon of watching "The Office" (US version); I feel like the 1st and 2nd Seasons were much better--I'm not a huge fan of the people from the Stamford office. I think what's lacking in Season 3 is that genuine interaction b/n Pam and Halpert. Oh yeah another incentive is bc I found out I'm rather fat...after I went to Cali. They measured my body fat percentage and it's remarkably higher than I had thought. Technically, I'm 'healthy' but I think I read somewhere that professional athletes are 10-12% or lower, and to add insult to injury the friend who brought me to Cali is a mere 2%...

1 comment:

Content in China said...

Hey just happend to see your blog when I googled Taiwan California fitness. I might move to Taiwan from the states and would like to join a gym. Can you elaborate on what those so called "consultants" tried to do? Thanks.