Saturday, November 3, 2007

Arts Festival at CKS Memorial-Flash Performance

So I was napping when Conor called me but I decided to go since I had noticed all the commotion during kickboxing so I figured it would be a pretty big event-plus he said 'circus' so I assumed there would be acrobatics (and Chinese acrobatics is always amazing) so I dragged my ass out of bed. The first couple of performances I saw when I arrived were SHITE (i.e., old , idiotic man from Holland punching a balloon, Taiwanese ppl hip-hop dancing and breakdancing), but the Taiwanese circus act made up for it. The circus or theater group is called "Flash" and it's the first Asian circus league or something...I lost the program but it was amazing.



Here are some short clips I took w/ my digital camera bc I realized the photos were so poor:






Get ready for a ton of blurry photos from the 2007 Arts Festival (specifically the Flash 2007 performance):

This is a guy covered in white powder and he's doing headstands and sorts of tricks while balancing on two columns-made up of mulitple small wooden blocks stacked on each other (very unstable-he demonstrated this once by pushing it so that it scattered). He stacked it even higher and then did a heastand and did a back flip off it the columns. Really cool.




This is a guy on basically a giant metal hula hoop and he's inside it and rolling around. He also gets out and does tricks w/ it.

This is the two girls doing acrobatic stuff in the air w/ this metal contraption while the guy in the background sings and plays Marilyn Manson's version of "sweet dreams."





This girl is in the air in this hula hoop thing doing flips and stuff. Meanwhile, a girl is playing the gu zheng (traditional Chinese musical instrument) to Nine Inch Nails "hurt!" Awesome.


Conor convinced me to go to this other performance, which will be on Nov. 10th. Jay Chou concert. I bought the ticket at an electronic booth in 7-Eleven. I love 7-Eleven...you can do everything here. Get a full meal (they microwave for you), use the ATM, PAY my phone bills, etc. etc.



In other news, I'm trying to read this comic book which is all in traditional Chinese...and I'm not making much progress. I've been looking up all the words I don't know and it's taking forever so I think I'm just going to read/skim and not care about all the unknown characters. I can probably still get the gist of it.

No comments: