Monday, November 12, 2007

Random Observations in Taipei; Jay Chou Concert

So I've noticed that just about everyone I meet seems to turn out to be mixed...sooner or later. I thought I was good at spotting mixed Asians or hapas but it turns out I'm not. From now on in Taipei, I think it's safer to just assume everyone I meet is mixed since it's the case more often than not.

The list so far:

Jimmy H. (Puerto Rican mom, White dad)
Claire T. (Malaysian dad, white mom)
Michael J. T. (Hong Kong/Cantonese dad, white mom)
Tom L. (Cantonese/Toisan mom, white dad)
Amy F. S. (Japanese, Chinese)
Janine (Chinese, white)
Alex H. (white Canadian dad, Shanghai/Fuzhou mom)
Maru (Japanese dad, Taiwanese mom)
Hirohatsu (Japanese dad, Taiwanese mom)
Enoch C. (Taiwanese mom, white dad)
*

(*Due to a request, I went back and edited the surnames to only show the 1st initial. )

and new names seem to be added everyday since I find out my friends are mixed later on....or I meet new ppl

Another random observation, in China and in America ppl usually assume I'm Korean, but recently in Taiwan ppl have been asking if I'm Japanese. I'm not sure if this is an insult or a compliment...I guess it could be taken either way. Clint and his Taiwanese friend both asked if I was Japanese. When I first met Clint he asked if I was "full Japanese" hah I was like I'm not Jap at all.

So I went to the Jay Chou concert last night. I was a little disappointed for the ticket price (1500 NTD) but I liked the last 2 songs: Huo Yuan Jia and Shuan Jie Gun, oh I also liked Fa ru xue (Shasha's ringtone haha).

My photos are all really blurry...but I'll post 'em up later. I also have some clips (w/ no sound bc my camera-Nikon cool pix-can't record sound....). I gotta run now and get dim sum.

____________

UPDATE 11/12

Due to popular demand (un hombre):

JC Photos are up:





That tiny guy w/ an electric guitar is JC himself!


Alex and Jimmy with the rainbow rod/candy stick/short staff/bo li gun...what have you
(bo li is slang for gay in Chinese)



http://picasaweb.google.com/macro417/JayChouConcert


That link is for Jimmy-feel free to take any or all of those photos and do what you please, post on FB whatever...I was going to post and tag them on FB but I was too lazy to add the photos to two locations online.

So I'm just going to upload 2 clips bc there's no sound and it's probably pretty boring to watch.

2 comments:

John Naruwan said...

I did a quick google for ya.
Well known mixed race asians.

I'm seeing more and more "mixies" around Taichung these days. Though none of them is as handsome as my own kids of course!

MJ Klein said...

people often try to encourage my wife and i to have children, just because supposedly mixed race children are cuter.