Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 8

Today my grandma came to visit me. She took the MRT from Yonghe. I woke up at 8:30 AM today for some reason and after watching an interesting BBC documentary about the lives of Iranians in Tehran (which was 1 hr and 30 min). It's really interesting, you can watch it here on Google video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=554201962695917482&q=rageh+tehran&total=6&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0.

Afterwards, I went back to sleep and slept very soundly until I was roused violently from my sleep from loud banging and yelling and then I realized what the lady was saying and remembered that my grandma was coming to see me at 11 AM even though I told her 1:30 PM would be best bc I needed to bring my photo to ShiDa and eat breakfast...she insisted though.

Anyways, against my wishes she climbed the 5 stories and then when she got to my floor started yelling out my name but I was still in the shower so I yelled that the door was unlocked.

She brought over giant peaches, pears, and longans.


longansShe didn't bring this over but since I'm talking about fruits....this is one of my favorites. Ba la (guava).



We went to ShiDa but everyone was out for lunch so I asked a lady who ended up communicating w/ me by typing in English on her computer it took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on. I tried speaking to her in Mandarin and English then I read on her screen (which she was pointing at), it said that she can speak English but she lost her voice. She told me to come back at 2 PM and that we'll get our schedules at orientation (August 31st, 9 AM room 504). I was planning on going back sometimes between 2-4 PM but it's nearly 3 PM now and it's POURING outside so I doubt I'll get it done today. The thunder is so loud today sounds like it's almost going to hit people on the ground. When I was at Watson's there was such a loud thunder clap that this American ducked to the ground and hugged his head and then looked to his friend and said it must have struck the metal roof of Watson's. (I bought a ton of toilet paper and tissues (bulk) and a small sunblock (only size available) at Watson's).

I was lucky though I got back to my apartment right before it really started to come down. My grandma kept telling me to turn around and go back home before it rained bc we didn't bring out umbrellas (it was so sunny today and not very cloudy this came out of nowhere...welcome to Taiwan!), but I said we were almost there I had to show her the closer MRT since she got off at GuTing and Taipower station is much much closer. So I saw her off and briskly headed home. I got hit by some large pellets of rain before I started jogging home with my bulk toilet paper hitting me and my streetside bought limeade in hand.

Oh for lunch we went to lao da dao che mian in ShiDa ye shi (shida night market). It was SOOO GOOD. I got a fan che ban jing ban rou mian (tomato beef noodle soup but it had lean meat and jing...not sure what that's called). I've actually never had this before bc whenever I got niu rou mian I would get hong shao niu rou mian (beef braised in brown sauce-noodle soup).


Oh yeah and during lunch my grandma handed me this.

I told her that I didn't need lipstick but thanks anyways....

Then she showed me how to assemble the metal chopsticks. She said that the disposable chopsticks at the restaurants weren't healthy because they were recycled and disinfected in factories. She said only the ones where you break them apart are sanitary because they are brand new and not recycled....eh...well I accepted her gift to be polite.




So this is unrelated but I was too lazy to update last night. I went to an arcade with Yun Han and her friend and we took these pictures in a huge photo booth that takes pictures of your whole body and you have to like manuever yourself based on where the camera is and what is blocking what...hard to describe. The machines were all in Japanese. Afterwards, you went to a machine where you selected girly icons like stars or flowers etc which you could add to the photos. You could also add bunny ears and draw stuff and etc etc. I took some photos of the photo strips...

I actually played with this one I added all those twinkling stars at the base of the photo haha. As you can see I had fun and got carried away.





After this we played hoops in the arcade. I won the first time then Guo Zhi won the second time when we switched to another set up hoops machines (these bball hoops didn't move like the previous but were higher up).

No comments: