Friday, August 17, 2007

Typhoon, Cockroaches, & Jet Lag

So I'm still getting used to this blogger...I found out I can edit previous blogs like in livejournal..thank goodness, if you haven't noticed I make lots of typos.

Anyways it is currently 4:03 AM Taipei time. Obviously, I'm still jet lagged. Good thing is that I slept through the torrential storm that is called TYPHOON here. My cousin the taxi driver told me that the typhoon would come tonight, but then on the news apparently it said it won't come until tomorrow and it will only hit the southern part of Taiwan...so I'm not sure..maybe that was just a heavy storm.

That last post was pretty pessimistic. I'm starting to get used to my living arrangements. At first I looked askance at my 'bed' which is a thin pad w/ a bamboo thatched mat over it and also at the shower which is a an adjustable showerhead placed next to the toilet... There's also no dryer. However, to look on the bright side...it's a pretty neat and clean place. The toilets do not smell so showering was fine. There's an A/C unit in my room and everything looks pretty clean. Oh and a huge huge plus is the free BROADBAND in my room (I tried stealing the wireless too but it didn't work). Oh and there's a maid that comes to clean the shared bathroom and hallway everyday too.

The bad thing was that when I woke up at 3:50 AM I got an unpleasant surprise when I saw a FAT cockroach climbing down the side of my desk...and now I don't know where it is! It probably came in through the hallway since the crack below the door is quite large. I have to admit...I have sort of a PHOBIA over cockroaches...they honestly frighten and disgust me. When I used to live at the Thompson dorm at Emory, I would use the bathroom in the middle of the night and a HUGE cockroach (ATL has the biggest cockroaches I have ever seen in my life) would start scampering all around my legs! I would be half disgusted and half trying to stomp on this cockroach. One time I actually got it and had to clean up the mess.....Another time it spilled it's entire contents of baby cockroaches which started running wild..I honestly wanted to vomit. The cockroaches I suspected were coming out of the ancient walls of Gil/Thom (the dorm is now demolished). There was a big hole underneath the radiator right next to the toilet there.

O.K. that was a huge tangent about cockroaches of ATL...but you get the point...I don't know where it is now...I guess out of sight, out of mind...

I bought yogurt and juice and a roast beef sandwich, etc...I hope it didn't spoil in this extreme heat bc I was waiting for my fridge to be delivered. Eating dinner, plus waiting for it to be delivered meant I waited for more than 3 hrs (bc I had to wait another hour bc I could turn on the appliance...something to do w/ the jostling during the delivery) eh....

Also, my hair is not used to this humidity...it's been pretty unmanageable w/ the heat and humdity and is basically a thick mass of blackness w/ a mind of its own...I think I might just go ahead and get a buzzcut...or maybe just get it cut a lot shorter.

Oh but for some good news! I found out that it's NOT this hot and humid all the time. Yesterday was actually extremely hot and humid even for local Taiwanese ppl. My uncle said that he knew a typhoon was coming bc of the heat. Thank G-d.

O.K. I am going to try and go back to sleep now...if the typhoon isn't here later today I'm going to go get a cell phone.

No comments: