Thursday, August 16, 2007

First DAY in TAIPEI

This is going to be short because I'm pretty exhausted and emotionally overwhelmed from all of the new changes. The heat and humidity is something that will be hard to get used to....

My throat is sort of aching and feels dry even though I'm drinking liquids...it might be from the infamous Taipei air pollution, or it might just be from the emotional stress. Or it might just be psychosomatic. In any case I'm sure a hot shower will help. (After two days of not showering, not brushing my teeth, and not moving much...I feel pretty much like shit now).

When I first got to the apartment that my aunt already paid the deposit for, I was unpleasantly surprised. It was the smallest room I have ever seen in my life and the bathroom was in the hallway to be shared by numerous other guys. I think the worst part was that I basically didn't have a choice because she already paid the deposit and I felt pretty helpless. Plus, I kept thinking about those other places that looked so nice, but those places are far (this place is w/in walking distance) and frankly I'd rather not regret anything. I'll make the best of my situation.

Today, I got my ARC no. and I exchanged my money and I also opened a new bank account so I can use ATMs w/o charge. Then my aunt showed me around the area and took me to get toiletries and some refreshments. (I like this delicious limeade drink w/ bits of aloe or jelly or something).

Oh and I have much to be thankful for. On the way over here I met a guy, Mike Toy,-who is half Cantonese and is also on the same ShiDa program as me and also got the same MTC scholarship for on year-only checked in 1 suitcase but apparently it was lost. When he asked about it....the guy told him that his bag was still in LAX and never made it to Taiwan.....uhhh. Holy crap. I wanted to stay but my uncle had been waiting for me at the airport since 5 AM so I felt torn staying w/ Mike or making my uncle worry and wait longer. I chose the latter and its a good thing bc he was getting worried and thought I had already left on my own and had even stopped holding up my name placard. (Luckily I glimpsed part of my name on the folded piece of paper).

Oh and it's only been a day but I already got 2 MSN names...everyone seems to use MSN here in Taiwan. This guy, Ken, at LAX started talking to me and told me to add him on MSN. He was really glad to be going back home bc he was an exchange student to Kansas University (Univ. of Kansas?) and he said it was very rural and he had a hard time fitting in...Then at the bank, this nice lady that my aunt knows due to her-"VIP service"-helped me with all the new account info and then when I wrote my e-mail she said to chat w/ her on MSN hah.

O.K. it's time to shower and wash away 2 days of dirt, grime, and stress. Tomorrow, I'm getting a cell phone and tonight my aunt and uncle are taking me out to some night market.

P.S.: I might post pictures of my housing situation later...

No comments: