Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Taipei 101 Observatory

I was too tired to update last night so this is about yesterday's excursion.

For lunch my uncle treated us and his sister's family to a Zhejiang restaurant (I didn't really like the food--he said Zhejiang and Jiangsu are known to have bland and slightly sweeter food).

After lunch, we sang some karaoke. The only song I could manage to sing most of the lyrics was Yue liang dai biao ni de lian (the moon reflects your face) and Lao shu ai da mi (Mice love rice) they are both Mainland songs (which according to them are very simple and repetitive...perfect for an American....).


Oh and in the car I heard a bunch of old classic songs that I used to hear as a kid. I can't remember nor find most of the songs on youtube but I found two of them:

Wen bie (Goodbye Kiss) by Jacky Cheung


Ting hai ku de shen ying (sea listen??) by A-mei


We took the fastest elevator in the world (2 of them, made by Toshiba, travels 1020 or so mph--don't quote me on that, takes 37 seconds to get to the top) up to the top of Taipei 101, my ears popped several times but it wasn't as unpleasant as you would imagine.

A lot of these photos are already on Facebook bc loading photos is so much faster on fb...but I'm posting some photos here that I didn't bother to post on fb (cuz i already reached my 60 photos per album limit and I'm too lazy to start a new album).

Views from the top:


According to Wikipedia, Taiwan is ranked 14th in population density...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_density

Monaco is 1st, Hong Kong is 3rd, Singapore is 4th, South Korea is 19th, Japan is 30th...

I live in the most densely populated district in Taipei (Daan district).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_densely_populated_administrative_units_in_the_world





Largest tuned mass damper in the world and the only one open to the public. It's what keeps Taipei 101 from collapsing during typhoon and earthquake situations. It is precisely due to Taipei's volatile environment that Taipei 101 is considered an engineering marvel.



Evening shots of Taipei City:







There was fireworks off Taipei 101 last night...but we were waiting for our table at the Thai restaurant at the time so I missed it.


Ceiling of the mall next to Taipei 101


Performance outside Taipei 101


Later we went to Shin Kong Mitsukoshi (xin guang san yue) shopping mall and ate at a fancy Thai restaurant. REALLY GOOD but I was too hungry to bother to take any photos...oh well. Just know I had a feast! Oh and Zach Lifton just happened to be in the area so he came up to the 7th floor and we chatted. I'm going to check out the kungfu dojo where he trains at.

No comments: