Sunday, August 19, 2007

Exotic Foods & Revisions

O.K. first off the dragon fruit is called huo long guo. Secondly, the tasty fruit w/ the white flesh is called lien hu. Also according to Hong Yi, the best kind of lien hu is deep red skin and flesh alike.

Oh and last night I didn't have pig's blood (zhu xue), I had sheep's blood (ya xue), which is apparently much softer like soft tofu.

I wasn't going to go outside today but Hong Yi said he was in Yonghe so he picked me up and we had guo tie (pot stickers). On the way, I saw a huge uprooted tree blocking more than half of the street. Things were knocked over and the wind was blowing really hard. People's umbrellas were turned inside out it was pretty amusing to watch from the car.

At the small dumpling house there was a lady sitting at a table who was making the dumplings. She would put them on a tray and then put them into a fridge and then when the customer orders a lady pulls the tray out and sauteed the dumplings-talk about FRESH!

Then I went over and made my own dipping sauce with sliced red hot peppers, chives, black vinegar, soy sauce, and raw chunks of garlic. Our cold appetizers were niu du (not sure what internal organ this is but it's from a pig), zu er duo (pig's ear), and cured bacon w/ very strong smoked wood flavor. And my soup was suan la tang (hot and sour soup) but it also had pieces of pig's blood (blood pudding) in it. I added white pepper and black vinegar. All in all a highly satisfying meal.

I had 20 guo ties (pot stickers) and now my tummy is about to burst. How am I NOT going to get fat in Taiwan??

No comments: