Saturday, October 6, 2007

Typhoon; Car Accident; Foreign Servants; Arm

So I usually rejoice when I hear about an oncoming typhoon...but alas this one is hitting Taipei over the weekend, which basically ruins my plans. I bought sandwiches, bread, Ramen, fruit, and juice since I'm going to be holed up over the weekend. This really blows.

Anyways, now on to what I really want to write about. My aunt just told me that my mom told her NOT to tell me but she felt I should know...she kept telling me not to get worked up and I was like fuck just tell me already! Well she told me that my dad completely totaled the old Toyota and was put in the hospital. He sustained injuries to his torso and was even hospitalized. Of course it wasn't his fault but he hasn't seen any money yet bc the insurance companies are still dealing with that. Well I want to make damn sure that those responsible for this are going to cough up every last penny. I contacted my cousin who is in NYC (although she's a patent/corporate/something? lawyer I'm sure she still knows about this type of thing). I want to make sure my dad does not back out of suing these bastards for all their worth.

I really don't know what the hell is going on...in the span of less than a week my 87 year old grandmother was viciously attacked by a stray dog, to the point that she can't even leave her small apartment nor MOVE. She has to have food delivered to her by her friends. She said last time she tried to walk to a cab she fell on her face. Now I get news from my aunt that my dad is in bed recovering from a serious car accident. I haven't spoken to my parents in weeks...and now I can't even call them right away since there's a fucking typhoon.

Thank god Xuan Zi gave me a bunch of his DVDs bc I think I am going to be bored out of my mind this weekend.

I just finished season 3 of the "The 4400." I think the play pretty good music. I liked this song which was in one of the episodes I watched recently. It's "Open Your Eyes" by Snow Patrol...and it really fits my mood right now.



I was pretty tired from going to Brass Monkey (a bar) last night. I took quick naps during my 3 hr class I was so out of it. I missed one problem on my quiz bc I completely misheard the question (I definitely would have gotten it right under other circumstances). Jimmy was completely out of it too. At one point I started laughing out loud during class bc he had this vacant expression on his face and was staring off into space and the teacher asked why he was fa dai. I saw Geoff in the hallway and he said he had a hangover too...but his class was only 2 hrs long so he got to leave at 12 which is when I get the most hungry and the most tired...I seriously considered just leaving during break to go eat. I heard from Jimmy that Pierre dropped 2,000 NTD last night.

I thought it was pretty funny in class today when the teacher asked the Thai girl if she knew any servants. Okay maybe I should first preface this remark. The textbook mentions that all blue collar work and maid/servants are held by immigrants, specifically Filipinos, Thais, and Indonesians (Southeast Asians make up the lower class in Taiwan...Jimmy said that's why Taiwanese girls don't want to tan). They even have specific phrases for Filipino servants, Thai servants, etc. (as Taiwanese ppl feel it's below them to do such work). The teacher said that it's probably the same case in our respective countries. Anyways, the teacher just flat out targets the Thai girl and asks if her friends are servants in Taiwan...it was hilarious but I checked my laughter. During lunch we discussed this and the fact that most of us have Filipino maids at our apartments. At the apartment I live at there's a free Filipino maid who lives w/ the landlady. She goes to all 5 floors and cleans the hallways and the bathrooms.

Anyways, after eating spaghetti bolognese (and the rest of Maru's salmon cream pasta) at the Italian pasta place in the night market I went straight home and slept for hours and put my phone on silent. I slept through my language exchange meeting...later I saw she called at least 3 times but I don't really care...I was so tired..plus it's raining cats and dogs outside. I also forgot to go check if my scholarship money was deposited. They way things are going...I'm doubtful.

My arm is feeling a lot better. I think the 2 day supply of pills I got at the free clinic really helped, the drug is called Piroxicam (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug or NSAID which decreases inflammation in joints). Hopefully by Monday I'll be back in action since I've been out of commission for 2 days now and not doing any exercise for 2 days feels really odd to me. I didn't go to taekwondo, gymnastics, basketball, nor the weight room. Speaking of...Geoff and Connor are going to the free kick-boxing thing which I saw posted on the bulletin board but I found out our class outing to Di Hua Jie is on Tuesday from 2-5 PM...and we have class (and the lesson 22 test) from 10:20-1:10 PM. Tuesday's going to be mighty busy, but at least Wednesday will be free bc 10-10 is Taiwan's Independence Day.

No comments: