Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Grandma attacked by dog; Watermelon; 4400; Classical Music Concert; Lesson 21; Scholarship Status; Taizhong Biking Trip

So I called my grandma (who lives in Yonghe) today after lunch and the first thing she told me was that she was bit by a dog! She said a stray dog ran after her when she was walking to her friend's apartment. She said her shoe was covered in blood and she had to get shots and stitches. I'm pretty pissed...she said that the dog doesn't have an owner so she can't hold someone accountable. Imagine an 87 year old woman being viciously attacked by a dog and then having to go to a hospital to get shots and stitches. That really pisses me off. I think someone must own/abandoned that dog and I want to hunt that person down and kick their ass...or at least sue them/decide on a settlement. What a scumbag.
____________

Anyways....this is completely trivial but due to the urging of a particular Jess...I bought the much touted Taiwanese watermelon which is smaller and has yellow flesh. I ate half of it last night when I was on my "4400" watching marathon (I'm on Season 3 now).

Small watermelon...


but quite tasty.
The watermelon was really good. I'm also addicted to 4400 now...I don't know what will happen when I'm done w/ season 3...my neighbor hasn't downloaded season 4 yet. I guess I'll move on to "Firefly" or "24" or some other American TV show he's downloaded and put on discs.

Masao from class invited us all to a classical music concert tonight, which his girlfriend is playing in (she plays the clarinet). I got a free ticket and we are meeting at Jiang Zi MRT stop at 6:40 PM. I have a lesson 21 test tomorrow but I think I'm ready so I can still go out tonight.

Class today was pretty interesting. We debated duo tai (abortion) and we got both extreme views in our class. The teacher is for it. I also had to perform my skit today where I played the son who wanted to marry an African girl and the father who is against it...quite amusing but not my idea haha.

This is amusing picture is in our textbook right below the dialogue.
The caption reads, "Ni yi wei xia yu bu chuan yu yi xing ma?" It roughly translates to: "Do you think it's wise to go outside without a raincoat when it's raining?"

In other news, it's October 2nd and I still have not received my September stipend NOR my October stipend....Taiwanese bureaucracy...sigh...

So they announced over the PA system multiple times today but Jimmy and Masao still managed to not hear it. I guess I'm more observant...or I just have ADD and tend to pay attention to distractions. Well, I asked about it and it's a Saturday trip down to Taizhong where we rent bikes and ride around some place and then go to a Hakka tea ceremony. It's only 350 NTD (the cost of a meal) and it includes lunch, transportation, insurance, and bikes fees. That's what I call a good deal...plus I've never been to Taizhong (Taichung) so Jimmy, Lise, and I signed up after lunch. Looking forward to it. It's only going to be one day...departing at 7 AM and arriving back in Taipei at 7:30 PM.

No comments: