Saturday, September 29, 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival; Cross-straight Relations; Ilan

So I've been pretty busy/lazy this week. Classes resumed on Wednesday after the Mid-Autumn Festival/Moon Festival/Zhong Qiu Jie. Thursday we had our lesson 20 test on drugs and on Friday we had a quiz on lesson 21, which covers relationships (pregnancy, abortion, affairs, prophylatics, etc.).

My legs are so tired bc on Wednesday gymnastics training lasted from 4:30-8:45 PM...I guess it lasts that long everyday but David and I stayed even later this time. I ran into the other gymnastics guys at Shida night market after I took my shower. My neighbor and I were heading over to eat lu wei (you choose the items and they cook it in this broth, chop it up, add sauces, and then bring it over to your table), when we say them-they were going to an Italian pasta restaurant, which my neighbor (Xuan Zhi) says serves bad food and is expensive.

Anyways, I guess I should cover some of what I did over the long weekend...

My uncle drove us through the longest tunnel in Asia (8 miles long) which cuts through a mountain and it's called Xue Shan Shui Dao or (Hsuehshan tunnel). It was just built recently and it allows Taipei folk to go to Ilan (Yi Lan) in an hour and a half (that's not counting traffic, which got pretty horrible due to the long weekend). I found this article by accident, which talks about the tunnel to Ilan: http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0720/p04s02-woap.html

In other news, Chen Shui Bian's bid to have Taiwan represented in the UN failed...big surprise there. Last time I checked Taiwan was still called R.O.C. and is only recognized as a state by 11 Latin American and African countries, which Taiwan bribes every year with aid money for the third world. Asus or some other Taiwanese brand recently developed a small laptop costing about $200 intended for use in the third world. Taiwan also has the world's largest charity foundation. Don't get me wrong....I think Taiwan's 23 million people should be represented...but as long as China is in the Security Council I don't see how things are going to change. That's why I'm in favor of Ma Ying Jeou's proposal in pleasing Beijing rather than trying to provoke it. I recently also found out Chen Shui Bian barred the Olympic torch from touching Taiwanese ground.

On a lighter note, here are some photos from Yi Lan (from my cousin's camera).

"cow tongues"-they're actually just crackers-really tasty too.




We went to the world's only (?) cold springs resort--all the others are hot springs (water that is heated due to volcanic activity, which is really popular in East Asia). I also went to a spa resort in Yi Lan (well actually in Su Hao).







Then we drove to Toucheng and Su Hao and some other places on the northeastern coast of Taiwan where we saw lots of surfers and hang gliders and had amazing seafood.



I'm going to post most of the pictures on Picasa bc it takes forever to load photos on to Blogger.




The rest of the photos are up on Picasa.

No comments: