Monday, September 3, 2007

First day of class and errands

Today is going to be a very busy day....sigh.

It's the first day of class (10:20 AM -1:10 PM) and then I need to schedule an appointment to fix the mess I made of my hair, but I have to attend a the scholarship recipient orientation first at 2:30 PM.

Then in the evening I am getting an eye exam and then choosing a pair of eyeglasses and getting new contacts. Oh good news! It's been 2 or 3 years since my last eye exam and my eyes have remained exactly the same...still -3.5 curvature (in Taiwan they just say 350, my cousin Yun Han has over 650+...but her glasses are really thin...ke ji is pretty neat).

Boy, I'm tired already.

Update: 1:37 AM

So Pei called and apparently Irene is leaving this afternoon and I just missed her (I had rushed through all my errands and even took a taxi to try and make it there before it was too late) ...she won't be back until 3 weeks later. She addressed the concerns I stated in my e-mail to her though and now I feel much better. She said that Irene has many connections in America and Taiwan and she could write an astounding letter of recommendation if I did a good job there. She also said the work there would be state government work and would be applicable to my major (int'l studies).

Eason trimmed my hair...it's basically the same but shorter. She told me that I needed an asymmetrical haircut that was suitable for young people. I found out the salon (www.genicsalon.com.tw is japanese), hence all the strange hairstyles. She thought I was German...that's a first.

I got a new pair of glasses which I'm picking up tomorrow. I like them they are dark grey plastic frame glasses.

Oh yeah and I'm tutoring the 21 year old lifeguard (who goes to college on a mountain) tomorrow...sigh. He wants to meet at Shin Kong Mitsukoshi tomorrow at 7 PM...at Taipei Main Station...we'll see how this goes. He wants the session to be two hours long...seems excessive to me but we'll see. He wants me to translate rap lyrics and explain their meaning...and he also wants me to teach him American slang and ebonics. (His mom said he likes swimming and jie wu...street dancing--what is it w/ Asians and break dancing errr i mean 'street dancing'). I liked his younger brother a lot more, at least he had manners...too bad I'm only teaching the older one (the younger one is going to bu xi ban; the older one went before but apparently found it wasn't helpful...i wonder why...

I also have a quiz tomorrow in class. I have to study 40 vocab words tonight AND do the homework in the workbook...SIGH...I'm so tired.

OK time to shower and then study for my quiz. I'll prepare for my tutoring job tomorrow afternoon....I haven't even finalized the payment situation..price nor when i would receive my money. Blah.

Well, the good news is that I had delicious Italian pasta at this popular place on Roosevelt Rd today. They had free fruit drinks, free cream of veggie soup, and free garlic bread. I dunked the garlic bread in the creamy soup...delicious. My aunt got the pesto clam pasta while I got a primavera pasta with tomato base (I wanted something light bc I'm feeling under the weather). I ended up eating nearly both plates and about 4 bowls of soup, 2 cups of fruit juice, and 2 baskets of garlic bread bc my aunt said she doesn't eat a lot for dinner since it's bad for digestion and it makes you fat...oh well.

I'm waking up tomorrow to study for my quiz...

No comments: