Saturday, September 1, 2007

Happy Hour-USC Alumni Event

O.K. seriously...I'm now officially sick of Thai food. I didn't think I would be eating so much Thai food here in Taiwan...and I have to say I prefer Thai food in America. They have some of the same dishes but I think Taiwanese ppl just prefer to order other stuff that is not available in America.

Anyways, I'm updating now bc I am waiting on my aunt to call me to do stuff at the post office.

Tonight, I'm going to happy hour at a bar with my cousin...it's a USC alumni event..my cousin, Ben Chang, got an MBA there so he's going to introduce me to the USC director Mrs. Pei Chun. He said he knows all the admissions people so if I want to go to USC for grad school to let him know.

Oh yeah I also went to Shida orientation today. Not much to say about that.

So I just got back from the USC event at this fancy bar on Civic Boulevard (shi min da dao). The drinks there were more expensive or comparable to US prices....ridiculous. That's why I only had 2 drinks there. I got a gin and tonic which was 275 NTD (over 9 USD!!) and then I got a Corona, which was 110 NTD (nearly 4 bucks). I thought it was pretty ridiculous since I was told it was "Happy Hour." Well I guess the point was to just mingle and network.

I met the director of USC in Taiwan and she told me to bring my resume to the office on Tuesday afternoon. I told my aunt about it and she was fiercely against it since it would be an unpaid internship but I told her a lot of people do that in the U.S. I'm not sure I'll go and then see myself if it's worth it.

I'm on the USC friends e-mail list so they'll contact me to let me know the location of their events...they have an event every month, like golf or cocktails.

When I was networking I met this guy named Simon (a University of San Francisco alumni) who works in the Ministry of Economics, apparently he and his friend David go clubbing in Taipei a lot so he said he would call me next time they go. I'm pretty curious about Taipei's nightlife since I haven't really been out at bars or clubs since I got here.

No comments: