Thursday, September 13, 2007

Burned Out

Class today was so busy. First hour was devoted to group presentations on the movies. Second hour was devoted to the Lesson 18 Test...afterwards I was completely spent from concentrating so hard, not to mention studying last night until 2:30 AM. Third hour was devoted to going over our homework assignment and Lesson 19...

I thought after the test I could breathe easy, but alas...this teacher is a slave driver. Right after the 5 minute break (post-exam), we started Lesson 19. Good G-d. The first thing she did was hand out homework assignments-writing an essay using assigned lesson 19 vocabulary to describe our experience attending some type of performance. SIGH...

Then after discussing the homework assignment we started going over the vocabulary...we only covered about 5 vocab words..and then class was over but before we could leave she reminded us that we had a QUIZ tomorrow over the 42 new vocab words! It never ends.

Anyways, today the Thai girl decided to eat w/ us and boy did she get on my nerves. She kept arguing with me on nearly every single point. She also kept insisting that nearly every famous person was GAY. She said that Wang Leehom is gay, Takeshi Kaneshiro is gay, some other famous Japanese guy is gay..etc. etc. She also got mad at me when Masao said I liked Jolin. She insists that Jolin is ugly and has tons of plastic surgery etc etc. I said that nearly every famous singer has had some plastic surgery...just look at Korean stars, not to mention American movie stars and pop stars. Anyways, she got mad at me just bc I wouldn't agree that all those ppl were gay. I said that they were just rumors spread by tabloid news and that they could be true but they are more likely to be false. She said some crack pot story about being friends with some famous singer in Taiwan and that this singer friend of her's knows people who are homosexual...yeah sure..and anyways who cares?! So basically she's really annoying.

Another thing...I have a really hard time understanding her..bc of her horrible accent. On top of that she can't speak English either...so there's no common language besides Chinese. The only language that she is good at is Thai. She insists that since I'm from America, I've never had proper Thai food and she said that Taiwan has shitty Thai food... It's generally accepted that Sichuan, followed by Hunan cuisine is the spiciest food in the world but she kept saying that I've never had proper Thai food, so I didn't know that Thai food is the spiciest in the world... Then she gave anecdotal 'evidence' bc some Americans said the food was too spicy in Thailand...(Obviously, she has never had Sichuan, Hunan, or Anhui cuisine). I could have said conversely she has never had proper Sichuan food but I didn't feel like talking to her anymore.

Besides the poor company, lunch was pretty good. We went to an Indian restaurant called Out of India. It was pretty expensive though-I got butter chicken which was 320 NTD and there wasn't enough garlic naan, so I got an extra side of saffron rice for 30 NTD more. (Later I saw they had a lunch special for 100 NTD but nobody knew about it...).

When I was looking at the bulletin board today the French girl came up behind me and we talked about how overwhelming class is. Right when we think we can take a break there's another essay, another assignment, another quiz/test, a new lesson, etc. She said she has been waking up at 6 AM everyday to finish homework or prepare for a quiz/test. I, on the other hand, have been going to bed at 2 or 3 am every night to do the same since I can't wake up in the morning (I tried to wake up at 8:30 AM today to study for the lesson 18 test but I ended up hitting the snooze button until my normal waking time-9:30 AM). I ended up just cramming while other people were giving their presentations.

So I'm not sure if I will be able to go to Wax Club tonight. I feel like just crashing and doing my essay and studying later tonight. I'm so beat. I'm going to take a much deserved nap now.

UPDATE 11 AM

I still haven't started writing my composition, which is due tomorrow...and I'm not done studying for tomorrow's quiz yet either. It's a good thing I didn't go out tonight. Where does the time go? Damn it! I feel like so much time is wasted just walking around in Taipei, especially bc the ppl here walk so FUCKING slow! They need to all move to NYC for a month and learn how to walk! KU SO (shit in Japanese)!

Anyways, time to hit the showers and then I'm going to start my composition. I can't wait for the weekend...and it's only Wednesday...Christ...

No comments: