Thursday, September 20, 2007

Tainted Meat; Pizza/Wings/Tater Tots; Gymnastics & Judo; Shu Qi; Asian Cinema; Lesson 20

I can't sleep so I decided to blog...

So I've been hearing a lot about the tainted meat from America recently...I know that US and Canadian pork is banned in Taiwan but ppl are still saying not to eat the pork bc in restaurants they buy the cheaper pork from the US (bc Taiwanese pork is more expensive and not frozen).

So I decided to do a little research...http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-09/19/content_6116867.htm

I know the EU has long banned American meat but now even Taiwan and China and other countries are doing so as well...not a good sign.

I started watching "Surf's Up." It seems like an interesting movie.

During the typhoon last night, I watched "The Pursuit of Happyness," typo intended. It's based off the true story of Chris Gardner and it's a really touching story about hard work and perseverance.

So today at gymnastics practice we started back flips! It was really scary. We did flips into this large container area w/ padding everywhere but it was still really scary. We did back flips and front flips--I'm a lot better at front flips bc it's psychologically easier. I can do it now...but I'm jumping too far back they said. I also am pretty proficient at headstand push-ups now. We also did some arm strengthening workouts on the parallel bars which was cool. Today I served as translator since there was a Honduras guy there, David Rosales, who didn't know much Chinese. Apparently, he's a blue belt in Judo--I found out bc I told him I was going to Judo practice tomorrow night.

I was going to eat dinner w/ the gymnastics guys but David wouldn't be available until 9 PM and the other guys had class at night. I went to my aunt's place and her other son (nephew?) was back from China. She had ordered Domino's and it was a really chill and fun night there. Domino's is sooo much better here! We had this pizza with Canadian bacon, pineapple, and shrimp. Then a thin crust Sicilian type pizza with sausage, ham, and bell peppers--soo good. There was also tater tots and two kinds of WINGS! I liked the spicy wings more than than the sweet bbq wings. My aunt made green mung bean soup (lu dou tang) for dessert too. I had that and wen dan, a fruit that looks like grapefruit to me but it's green on the outside and a light green/pink color flesh.

Oh yeah and my aunt's nephew/son(?) is going to set up my Mac so that I can watch Taiwanese cable by attaching some adapter. Last time we went they didn't have TV adapters for Macs but my cousin said she asked her co-worker and she said they had them... I've never heard of them but apparently they are common in Taiwan.

Oh yeah and my uncle is back from Guizhou, China so that means he brought back literally hundreds of cheap DVDs! I watched part of "Snakes on a Plane" before going home to study for my quiz (I've already seen it). I took home around 30 something DVDs too heh.

I'm looking forward to the Chinese/Taiwanese movies I selected: "Ming Ming," "Tian Tang Kou (Blood Brothers)," and "Three Times" (Shu Qi is on the cover of this).


Shu Qi and Chang Chen in the art house flick (wen yi ai qing pian), "Three Times," by acclaimed Taiwanese director, Hou Hsiao Hsien.



Daniel Wu and Zhou Xun star in"Ming Ming."

Zhou Xun in "Ming Ming."


My aunt said "Tian Tang Kou" was a good movie. It's currently playing in theaters in Taiwan, but I have the DVD already haha...got to love Chinese DVDs.


Daniel Wu on the left, Shu Qi in the center--a still shot from "Blood Brothers."

There seems to be a spat of movies set in 30s or 40s era Shanghai....i.e., "Se, Jie (Lust Caution)" and "Tian Tang Kou (Blood Brothers)"



Quiz tomorrow.

The new chapter (lesson 20) is interesting....it's on drugs, condoms, homosexuality, drug overdose, marijuana, amphetamines, etc.

No comments: