Saturday, September 1, 2007

Internship Drama & Outdoor Basketball

Thank G-d I'm getting a haircut tomorrow evening. Taipei heat and humidity are driving me insane and my thick hair is just making it worse. My cousin scheduled a reservation for me with the hairdresser she always goes to.

So at the USC event I met Pei and she mentioned USC students coming to Taipei to work at unpaid internships...so I asked if they were still looking for people. I didn't really think about the consequences of asking about it. In any case I didn't think an internship would be that big a deal...but it has caused so much drama. When I told my aunt about it she was immediately turned off by the idea and called it yi gong...I'm guessing it means volunteer work (she said only Taiwanese ppl who have too much money and time on their hands do yi gong). Then she told my grandma about it and my grandma hated the idea too. They both think I am going to be used like a slave...

I told them I haven't agreed to anything yet I just thought it might be a good experience and something to add to my resume since I can't officially get paid for a job anyways due to my scholarship...

All I know so far is that I would be helping a woman named Irene and she works for the Taiwan government in the department of Agriculture. I'm meeting her on Tuesday.

_____________

I just got back from playing b-ball at the Shida outdoor courts. I played for an hour until they shut off the lights at 9:30 PM. It was kind of awkward at first since I didn't have my own ball so I would just wait to catch people's rebounds and shoot around w/ them. Then I stole a ball I found left on the side and shot with that. Then I saw one of the games ended so I just went over and started shooting and doing layups...until I realized everyone staring at me so I quickly left the court haha. Then I figured it out and assembled a team of 3 myself and I got to play the next game. Each game there apparently only lasts to 6 points....w t f...but it wasn't that bad because each game ended quickly so I got to play many games. The caliber of skill tonight definitely was a lot worse than in America...but it might be because it's a Saturday night and most college age guys are probably up to no good, rather than playing ball...I dunno. One of the guys I played with goes to college in Taizhong but he lives in Taipei so he says he plays on the weekends after 6:30 PM. So anyways, I finally got some aerobic exercise in.

No comments: