Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tuesday Class; "Lust, Caution (Se, Jie);" Japanese Chicas vs. Tai Mei; Some Yang Ming Shan Photos

So today we discussed our lesson topic-movies some more. The teacher talked about Taiwanese director, Li An (or as Americans know him as Ang Lee), and had me pronounce his famous movie..."Brokeback Mountain" haha...Masao described to us how watching that movie made him want to hurl...he said he saw it on the plane so the combo of the homoerotic images + the turbulence made him queasy...haha

Anyways, the teacher also talked about Ang Lee's most recent movie, "Lust, Caution" (Se, Jie), which won the best picture award at the Venice Film Awards. She said it starred Wang Li Hong (Wang Lee Hom).

I looked up the English title when I came home and I read that it's given an NC-17 rating in the US and in China 30 minutes have been removed due to the sexually explicit scenes. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-09/10/content_6700355.htm

Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/lustcaution/trailer/

Well, all this talk about lust and relationships seemed to have carried over into our conversation at lunch (we went to "Jamaican Coffee" and we all got fried chicken w/ a side of fried egg, rice, cabbage, and pao cai; i ended up eating Masao and Maru's leftovers haha). Well, Masao explained how he met his Taiwanese girlfriend (he was friend's w/ her cousin in Brisbane, Australia. She plays the clarinet, etc.

He later warned me that about Taiwanese girls...he said I needed to be "careful" and that Taiwanese girls were "dangerous." At first, I thought he meant that they were after my money or wanted to marry an American...but he said no, that Taiwanese girls are complete opposites to Japanese girls bc Japanese girls are submissive and obedient, but Taiwanese girls will fight and argue with you...he said Taiwanese girls are "strong" (he said he liked 'strong girls' and that when they were fighting he would cuss at her in Japanese so she wouldn't understand haha). At first I wasn't sure what he meant bc he said, "da taiwan nu sheng," or something like that which translates to big Taiwanese women. He meant that they are very independent. The French girl added that she knew of a couple, where the girl was Taiwanese and the guy was from mainland China and she treated him "like a dog." She said that a lot of Taiwanese guys go to Japan to find a nice, submissive girl. She said they say Japanese girls are short, cute, and nice. Interesting...

I also learned Japanese cusswords (and other phrases) during lunch. I learned both the Tokyo dialect and the Osaka dialect...Maru said the Tokyo dialect sounds feminine and gay...while Osaka is cooler and more masculine sounding. He also said that the reason why Japanese ppl have such poor English is bc they have so little to pronounce....unlike in Chinese they don't have an 'r' sound (only 'l'), they don't roll their tongue ('er' sound in Beijing dialect), they don't have the 'sh' or 'zh' sound, etc. That's why it's easier for Chinese ppl to speak English as opposed to Japanese ppl.

Oh and we decided to do our group report on "Titanic" since it would be the easiest to describe in Chinese. We went from "Pirates" to "Spirited Away" to "Titanic"...Masao and I wanted to talk about Spirited Away but the French girl never even heard of Miyazaki...

Lesson 18 Test tomorrow! I saw Nico at the MTC library today and she said that in her new class they are only in lesson 16 and they take 5 days to finish ONE lesson! She said it's much better for her. That does sound a lot easier...oh well I want to be challenged...


So I'm still procrastinating, so I decided to upload a couple photos from Yang Ming Shan.

funny looking straw hut thing behind the restaurant. This whole area reminded me of "Spirited Away." It was really cool.


red temple

Maru and me at the restaurant
At the park near the mid point of the hike up the Mt.


For those interested, I'm going to post the rest on Picasa Web tomorrow...if I find the time.

____________

I'm supposed to be studying right now..but as usual, I'm surfing the net and listening to music/watching music videos.

I think this is a fun song/music video by Bjork.
"Earth Intruders"

No comments: